Saturday, November 9, 2013

TWO KNEES OR NOT?

EVERYONe knows this story, because one side of you is not working too well, you stress the other side.  This happens with hips , knees, shoulders etc etc

One day after shopping, my ability to traverse a small distance , seemed to disappear.  I had to sit to recover and even then getting out of the shop, getting into the car, walking down to the boat, getting the dog watered and potty break(ed) was challenging.  Maybe I should have both knees down at once.

There are two islanders who I know who had both knees done at once so knew it could be done.

I wrote to France Surgery  asking about the possibilities.  The doctors at the Clinique said they did not like to do it because of the risk of emboli.  

They thought that if I really wanted to do this they recommended three days after the first intervention.

My daughter after reading their recommendation thought maybe 2 months after the first intervention.

No matter, there is no meaningful cost saving.

Another friend who has had a very successful TKR said her doctor refused to do both at once and with intensive rehab her other knee, the non operated one which was very painful, seemed to recover.  So.

This same friend gave me a book TKR AND REHAB.  this book which is intense covers the process of your knee degenerating, being operated on, and rehabilitation.   The worry about emboli is a meaningful one, due to many things including the fact that one has a sort of tourniquet put on to your upper leg to try and prevent blood loss  .  The speed and expertise of your surgeon is paramount, the longer you are on the table the more likelihood of problems related to blood.  Clotting, not clotting, etc.

The man due to do my knee does about 200 a year.. has been doing this for years and year and is the same age as my eldest daughter, somehow that made feel that he must be at the top of his game like she is.

So… only one knee.












No comments:

Post a Comment