Sunday, February 23, 2014

third night of being at home

We ll the return journey was different. When I went through Passport Kontrol in Germany they officer looked at my passport for quite a while and then said, who did you get permission from? Permission for what said I ? My daughter wanted me to stay longer.. so I stayed.. said I. Finally it transpired that I should have only stayed 90 days. I was amazed having stayed in Europe over the many years of visiting for long lengths of time, much longer than 90 days. The attendant who was with me said, well they have 4 choices.. jail, or large fine. or restricted from visiting Europe for 2 years, OR maybe they will just let you go. The supervisor was called and after a conflab they said. well as you were only in Germany 2 hours on either side and you were in and out of Switzerland and France we are just going to stamp your passport and let you go… I kept thinking of the problems .. first of all, what would have happened to the dog? What about all the arrangements for people picking me up etc etc. Anyhow.. reasonableness prevailed. Apparently this is something to do with what they call the shengen agreement. It is newish.. like 4 to 5 years old.. and has to do with Switxzerland which is not a member of the eec.. but who has a tax free status or something. On arrival in Yvr.. there were a series of mixups. Thedoors at the end of the ramp leading up to the body of the airport were locked.. and altho there was someone on the other side she said she did to have the authority to open the doors… eventually the whole plane load of people were standing waiting for the doors to be opened. I was waiting for a wheel chair. EVentually me and 3 other ladies waited on a bench 45 minutes later we moved on in a cart. When we got to the baggage carousel there were very few bags.. there had been a blockage .. and so another 45 minutes passed.. the last bags to come off were the business class bags. Meanwhile I could see Anna in her crate peacefully waiting. I phoned Linda, thank heavens for cell phones.. and was able to reassure her that I was there but waiting. Finally bags came.. walked to check out when the woman stopped and asked if the dog had been checked. No.. so off we went to another section of the airport where finally an officer took pity of me and pushed us through. So the plane landed at 1130 and I left the airport at 1330. After that every thing went very smoothly. Home by 530.. a friend came and helped to unload. I looked with dismay at the 4 months worth of mail.. another friend had left a seafood gumbo for me.. I climbed into bed at about 1930 . and slept through most of the night. SUNDAY\Woke this morning to a snow storm. Large flakes falling straight down. Phone call from colleague with whom I work the water pump houses.. she has the most terrible cold, has had it for 3 weeks.. would I please go up and check not eh temperature of the pump houses… Got me out of the house, took the dog for her morning run. SATURDAYYesterday saturday, walked to get eggs.. and then watched a lot of The Fringe,on net flux.. am not sleeping during the day.. had two people to dinner, fish. Friday morning woke at 7 and decided to go to town. Did big shop, bought lots of fish.

No comments:

Post a Comment