Monday, February 10, 2014

monday

rain.. torrents of rain.. so wet that C actually picked the girls up from school at noon.. fed the extra children and then C and I went out to SHOP for new flooring for her study and the bedroom I am occupying Made potato latkes for supper for the children with bacon and broccoli and shepherd pie for adutls.. it really apparently should be called cottage pie as it does not contain lamb but was made with left over beef. hence cottage pie. Upon looking up the recipes there were several articles written about the origin of the terms. I also wrote to Ken Follett today, not that he will come to a smart stand still and say.. my heavens.. but I was upset when he referred to a character in his book The Winter of the World , a women, being a Rhodes Scholar.. Women were not allowed, or should I say eligible to apply for the Rhodes Scholarship until 1977… I hate it when facts which are easily checked are allowed to slip.. is that the job of the editor? I know from personal experience that Women were not eligible as a very very good friend worked very hard in order to qualify, had top marks.. was good at sports etc.. and when she sent in her application was told.. no women need apply. This was in the '50s. And his book is set in the 30s and 40st.

No comments:

Post a Comment